Search This Blog

Friday, November 21, 2014

Cam the Camo Bunny

Told y'all I had some stuff in the pipeline!  Check out this little guy!
Cam the Camo bunny
 
 
Yes, I made him!  I named him Cam, because he's partially camouflaged.  I got this pattern care of Jo Carter for Love Patchwork and Quilting Magazine.  Isn't he darling?
 
I'm sure the name Cam is only temporary, because I'm not keeping him.  I know, it'll be hard to part with him, but this gift is for little Dawsen.  Dawsen is a co-worker's first grandchild who (at least a few months ago) is completely enamored with stuffed animals.  Dawsen's family is very outdoorsy, hence the camo print I chose. 
 
Me and Cam in the Kelly Courtroom
 
This was my first time working with linen, and it was rather interesting.  Per the instructions, I washed and dried the linen before cutting into it.  Oh my--I had heard about how wrinkly linen can get, but I just didn't know.  It took a LOT of starch and a lot of steam to get the linen looking smooth and beautiful again, but I think it was worth it. 
 
The linen was easy to cut and pretty easy to sew.  The only issue I ran into is that the seam allowances were very small, and some of the seams began to come undone.  I remedied that by using a larger seam allowance throughout. 
 
Now for the construction of the bunny: the pattern was mostly clear, but I had one major issue: when it came time to sew the front of the head to the back of the head, the pieces just didn't match the way it looked like they should.  In the end, I just kind of fudged it, and it turned out quite alright. 
 
One thing I didn't realize--making dolls is kind of creepy.
 
Limbs everywhere! 


Someone please help me!

I had a few good laughs in the midst of my frustration looking at the random body parts laying around.  In the end, Cam came out pretty cute.  I hand embroidered his face as well as Dawsen's name on the back. 

Look how handsome!

So cute with his quilted cotton (well, mostly polyester) tail!

 
I'll have to make some girly ones next, I think.  Until then, God Bless!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it? Hate it? Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear from you!