Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Ahoy, baby!

Well, something happens when you hit a certain age--you're suddenly surrounded by babies!  So far, babies have been the most compelling reason for me to quilt.  I can put down everything else to crank out a baby quilt. 
 
 
 
If you know me personally, then you already know that my husband and I led a young adult bible study for quite a few years.  Now, (not counting BabySchep) the first baby from that group is coming soon:






Well, of course Baby Anthony is getting a quilt!  I was short on time, so I needed something relatively easy.  I remembered how much fun I had making the Big Top quilt for a friend almost two years ago, so I pulled out my 10 degree wedge ruler again. 
 
I constructed this quilt top in the same manner as the Big Top quilt, but with navy and off-white, as Baby Anthony has a nautical theme going on in his nursery:

It's making me dizzy!
Like before, I appliqued a circle over the gap in the center.  This time, I embellished the circle with an anchor made of felt. 
 
Almost done basting!
I machine quilted the sandwich on my 9960 using a walking foot and Aurifil 50wt thread.  That, plus a brand new needle made for smooth sailing. 
 

I attached navy bias binding, and started on the label.  I tried out Sulky's Sticky FabriSolvy for the first time, and it was a hit!  I typed up the label on my computer, and printed it directly on the sheet on my laser printer.  It simply peels and sticks, and you're ready to sew!





I used three strands of embroidery floss with a simple backstitch to cover up the printed text.  Even with the white stabilizer, the white floss stood out just fine. 



When I was done, I simply submerged the label in water, and the stabilizer disappeared!  Amazing.  I will be using this stuff a lot.
 
Well, here's the finished product:
 


 
Love that Happy Home print!


Label turned out pretty nicely!


BabySchep, at 5 months old, modeling the quilt for the camera.



I think this photo belongs in a catalog!

I made a matching drawstring bag with the extra backing fabric.  Here it is amongst the other goodies at the shower:

 
So what do y'all think?  I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.  Love the fabric?  You can pick up the Happy Home collection in my shop.  (My husband and I own the company!)  Want to recreate this quilt?  Get what you need here
 
Until next time, God Bless!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it? Hate it? Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear from you!