Search This Blog

Friday, February 17, 2017

Sewing for #babyschep: Belle Baby Bag

As promised, another WIP update.  This time, it's a bag project.  After all, shouldn't a brand-new baby call for a brand-new diaper bag?

I bought the Belle Baby Bag pattern from Swoon Patterns:


Doesn't it look smart?  I just had to have it.  I knew, though, that to get that polished look from the pattern photo that I'd need to venture into the world of vinyl.  So I did!

Not too shabby for a first timer!
Now, I learned to make bags under the tutelage of Sara Lawson of Sew Sweetness.  She's been offering glitter vinyl and cork fabric in her shop for a little while now, so I figured I'd take the plunge and give it a shot.  I used a denim needle, regular 50wt thread (though I wish I'd used a thicker thread), and a walking foot.  The glitter vinyl was surprisingly easy to sew. 


Now I've been hoarding this yard of "germy" looking fabric (isn't that what it reminds you of?) for quite some time now, and thought it would look nice in this bag. 


 What ended up happening, though, is that I improperly joined the pattern pieces together and wasted the yard of fabric!  So, lesson learned.  If you don't understand a step in the pattern, just suck it up and ask for help.  It just might save you a yard or two of fabric! 
As I write this post, I'm all but done with this project (I know, I know), so the big reveal will come (including the alternate fabric!) as soon as I can get some pictures uploaded.  Linking to Let's Bee Social and Finished or Not Friday.  Until then, God Bless!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it? Hate it? Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear from you!