Search This Blog

Thursday, April 27, 2017

#babyschep's Nursery Progress: Theme Revealed!


Got the nursery moved along over the long weekend.  Inspired by this nursery, I set out to figure out how to make it my own. 

I recently acquired a Cricut Explore Air 2 machine--it was an open box deal I got at Amazon for over 50% off!  I got such a good deal on it, I just couldn't pass it up.  Plus, I spotted this solar system set on their website that would be free for me to access for two weeks after purchasing the machine. 


I dove in and purchased a vinyl assortment online, and with the help of my hubby, we had all 8???? (typing that is SO weird!) planets cut out. 

I painted some arcs on the wall:


They are far from perfect.  I marked the lines with a piece of chalk tied to a string that was tacked in the corner. 

Chalk only, pre-paint.
I followed along the chalk lines freehand with a foam brush and white primer.  In hindsight, I would have tried using a paint pen first to see how well it marked against the dark blue wall.  In the end, it looks fine from afar, and there is minimal touch-up that I'll insist on. 

Of course, I couldn't wait for all the touching up to be done before I adhered some planets to the wall:


Earth was first, of course, followed by Mercury.  This close up shows some of the touching up we need to do.  That first orbit was the first line I painted, and hence, the messiest.  Some of the smudges are actually chalk that wiped off after a secondary cleaning. 

After closer inspection of the inspiration photo, I realized that she used embroidery hoops for her planets!  Genius!  And how up-my-alley would that have been??  Well, I've jumped headfirst into the world of vinyl and cutting machines, which I think will serve me well for the years to come, both to enhance my quilting and crafting, and with items tailored for the boys' education.  Because this is a months-long project for my full-time lawyer, full-time mommy, preggo self, I think I'll keep feeding y'all updates, if you don't mind.  There isn't a whole lot of sewing going on these days, but I think I'll "cheat" a little bit and make BabySchep's baby quilt out of the same pattern.  Until then, God Bless!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it? Hate it? Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear from you!