Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

My First Commissioned Quilt




So I completed my first commissioned quilt a few months ago:



The days were already getting shorter when I went to photograph this thing, so I apologize for the weird lighting.

I went TOTALLY outside of my comfort zone for this quilt.  You've heard me say before that piecing isn't my strong suit, but this pattern seemed "pieceable" enough.  It's from Natalia Bonner's and Kathleen Whiting's book Modern One-Block Quilts.  It whipped together quickly especially quickly, because I grabbed some charm packs to make it with:





My customer's intended recipient loves color, so I immediately though, "Kaffe."  Confession time: I cannot stand Kaffe.  I've yet, to this day, encountered a Kaffe print that I thought looked nice.  It's too much color in unconventional color combinations for me.  Yet, it works:



All that color, all those combinations, and it somehow all works.  I neglected to take a close up photo, but I did some nifty free motion swirly flower quilting edge to edge on His Royal Highness.  Gosh, he sews like a dream!  My customer was pleased, so we're all good.  Sometimes it's good to wade out into deeper waters, so to speak.  Linked up to Sew Fresh Quilts this week.  Until next time, God Bless!





Recent Reads:



Swipe Right: The Life-and-Death Power of Sex and RomanceSwipe Right: The Life-and-Death Power of Sex and Romance by Levi Lusko
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

One of those books that you wish you had read earlier.

View all my reviews

Flawless: Inside the Largest Diamond Heist in HistoryFlawless: Inside the Largest Diamond Heist in History by Scott Andrew Selby
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It took me a while to get this one done, but it ended up being a fun listen. I don't know about you, but I enjoy watching heist movies--it's fun to see the level of detailed planning that goes into these (fictional) high-profile thefts, but this was a real-life diamond heist--less glamorous, but still detailed. I don't remember this particular crime in the news back when it happened, so it made it more fun to read without knowing what ultimately happened. Fun read.

View all my reviews


The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust BowlThe Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl by Timothy Egan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

We all read about the Dust Bowl in elementary school. In fact, you probably read Grapes of Wrath, didn't you? If you're like me, that's all the exposure you got to this trying time in America's history. I had this vague understanding--yeah, it was hard times, but never really understood that it was largely a manmade trial. I truly enjoyed this account--Egan paints a picture of what these lands looked like before we farmed it to death, and how we reaped what we had sown. Gosh, I enjoy history so much more when it's real, and that's what this account does for this particular place and time--make it real. Worth the read.

View all my reviews


On our tabletop:

Catan!  We finally played the "real" version.  
Dutch Blitz.  Quite possibly my favorite.  

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the commissioned quilt finish! Kaffe is an acquired taste, and it does grow on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I kept the scraps, in case it grows on me some more.

      Delete

Love it? Hate it? Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear from you!