Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Never too old for video games!


So at the ripe young age of 29, I received a Nintendo 3DS XL for Christmas from my in-laws. 

Yes, the Game Boy to end all Game Boys.  It's really quite a treat to be able to play Mario in 3D without wearing 3D glasses.  Which leads me to this: I recently finished playing Paper Mario: Sticker Star. 



I've had a lifelong love affair with Mario.  I mean, the NES came out in 1983 or 1985 or something along those lines.  Basically, Mario has been around my entire life, and I was naturally drawn to video games.  My parents didn't exactly encourage the hobby, but treated us to a console only after it was dirt cheap (meaning it was one or two generations behind). 

My first experience with the Paper Mario franchise was Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door on the GameCube system.  I thought it was rather hokey at first, but then really got into it once I realized how challenging it actually was.  Is it just me, or are they making these games for much older children?  I mean, I remember games being relatively hard when I was a kid, but not like this. 

This game has plenty of secrets and tricks that take a guide (at least for this gal) to complete.  The game is set up to coax the player into completing it 100%.  It's not just about powering through and beating Bowser, it's about finding all of the secret doors and special stickers to complete your collection.  Which leads me to this question: is it considered cheating to consult a game guide?

I've used game guides quite a bit throughout my years as a gamer.  Here's my take:  if you need to read the game guide to beat the game, then you're cheating.  If you're reading the game guide to supplement or augment your game (such as finding special items), then it's okay.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it? Hate it? Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear from you!