Search This Blog

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Name Tag Challenge

So the Lakeland Modern Quilt Guild kicked off the new year with a challenge: create your own name tag.  There were a few parameters that weren't exactly strict requirements, but suggestions: it had to be small (3" x 4" was suggested), and would preferably contain the guild's color scheme.

I immediately got to sketching:

Good thing I sew, not draw!
 Our guild printed up little labels with our logo to incorporate into the name tag.


Never too old for colored pencils!
I keep a spiral-bound sketch book for all of my ideas.  So far, I'm glad I have, because every time I open it, I find a design I sketched out and forgot about.  It doesn't have to be perfect, but is just another way to document your creativity as it hits you.

As you can see from my sketch, I wanted to hand embroider my name, because that's kind of my "signature" skill.  I typed out my name using the font "cheri liney," and traced that onto some white cotton.


I just used a Sewline pencil to trace my name, under the assumption that it's erasable if I don't cover it completely with thread.



I used a cotton 12-weight thread in the Sulky blendables line.  I cannot begin to express how much I love this thread.  As promised, it's the same thickness as two strands of embroidery floss, making it perfect for all kinds of embroidery.  I have yet to be brave enough to thread it through my machine, but I'm sure that when I do, there will be another blog post with me gushing over it.

Can you tell that I'm just a little bit obsessed?

I buy it whenever I can, but that simply isn't enough!  And full disclosure, Sulky has no idea that I'm writing this--I just truly love this thread.

Anyhow, this particular variegated thread made for absolutely gorgeous satin stitching:

Satin stitches in progress!

Yes, my name is spelled with two Ls.  
I am absolutely smitten by the results.  I just keep impressing myself!

I then pieced together the background of the name tag and sewed it to a piece of Peltex, rather than batting.  I really like the stability the interfacing provides.


I decided to try my hand at improvisational piecing.  I dug through my treasure chest to find matching scraps and assembled a strip:



I decided to bind the name tag, rather than just piece a border, because I wanted the back to be interesting as well.  I trimmed the strip down to around 3 inches and began to bind the name tag as you would any other quilt.


I made the strap out of some leftover pre-packaged bias tape I had laying around, and stitched it shut with a zigzag stitch to add some interest.

This is where my genius hubby comes in.  It was getting late and I was getting tired, but I had this whole other idea sketched out for a second name tag:


Yes, that says chalk fabric.  I love this stuff!  I'll be sharing other projects I've used it on soon, but I really wanted to have a unique name tag that I could change.  My husband inspired me to make my name tag a two-in-one, and that's exactly what happened!  I present to you my completed guild name tag:


I embellished the background with some cute sewing-themed buttons, even adding a little more hand embroidery to act as "thread."  

Flip it around, and there's a chalkboard on the back, complete with a sleeve to hold a piece of chalk! 

Because some days, I just don't want to be Nicolle.

I can't wait to rock this thing at all of the guild functions.  What do you think?  Does this inspire you to make something else?


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it? Hate it? Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear from you!