Search This Blog

Monday, March 16, 2015

Baby Bubble Bib!

Okay, it's confession time: this is a really, really late Christmas gift.  In my defense, we hadn't seen this particular recipient since football season ended (which for our team is always November!), so I wasn't in any particular rush to get it finished.  (In fact, these first few pics were date stamped for 12/15 on my camera!)


As you can see, I used Simplicity pattern number 2924, which is actually a collection of baby-themed items.  Little Emma here has already received a quilt made by yours truly, so I thought I'd keep it simple with a fun little bib instead.  The pattern calls for vinyl, but I opted to skip that, given the fun twist I had planned. 


I didn't like the idea of it only being 1-ply (does that term apply to fabric, too?), so I cut out two of the bib shape that I meant to layer back to back.
 
Side note:
 
Have you all encountered this type of marking at the end of a bolt before?  I bought this fabric at a big box store at 50% off because it was the end of the bolt.  What I didn't anticipate was this:
 
 
The marking is on the wrong side of the fabric, which would normally be fine, but...

 
It clearly shows through the right side as well!  Well, I was getting a little tired of this particular fabric (you can read about how I ended up with so much of it here), so I wasn't all that upset to have to cut around the marking. 

Confession #2: I am terrible at sewing bias tape.  I even have a bias binder foot on my machine, but when curves get tight, I fail miserably.  So bib #1 went into the garbage.  For this bib, I opted to keep it simple--with right sides together, I sewed a 1/4" seam and left an opening for turning.  I topstitched all around in a matching pink thread.

Now for the fun part:  Chalkboard fabric!  I've used it before, but I can't get enough of it.  What makes it even more fun is how easy it is the mark with....you guessed it...chalk.



I drew a word bubble that would fit on the bib and cut it out with regular scissors.  I used a plain ol' school glue stick to temporarily adhere the bubble to the bib and satin stitched around the edges.  When done, I attached hook and loop tape on the ends. 

Here's my first model:



But I think it looks way cuter on her:

 
This was a super easy make and pretty cute, don't ya think?  Got more stuff coming your way, so stay tuned!  Until next time, God Bless.  





post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it? Hate it? Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear from you!