Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Progress: Lil' Schep's Soft Alphabet

Woohoo!  I've posted three times already this year, and it's only January!  It might not seem like a big deal to y'all, but this is huge for me.  Life can be taxing, especially right now with the whole I'm-growing-a-human-being thing going on.  Anyways, I'm writing to fill y'all in on my work in progress (gasp!):





This will eventually become a full alphabet set for Lil' Schep.  He's already begun exploring the few letters I have finished, and so far, so good. 




If you remember a year or two ago, I made this soft alphabet for our best friends' daughter's birthday, and boy, was it a pain!  I thought of reusing the same method, but increasing the size of the letters for ease of turning.  Then I came across some felt softies, and thought I'd give it a try.  I do have mounds of embroidery floss laying around to stitch them up with!

I purchased an assortment of 9" x 12" felt sheets from Amazon.  I'm still torn about this.  I shied away from wool because of allergy concerns (my mother-in-law is allergic, and I was planning on sending these over to her house), and frankly, the higher cost.  Having used felt purchased off the bolt at Wal-Mart in the past, I felt (hehe) that even the cheap stuff would hold up well.  When I received my felt assortment, I was disappointed to find that it was stiff, not soft and pliable like the felt they sell at the store.  In the end, I kept going with it for two reasons: (1) I didn't spend very much on the felt to begin with, and (2) it came with a giant assortment of colors that I felt would make the entire project more colorful for my little guy. 


What do y'all think?  Maybe in a few weeks I'll post an update with the newest letters I've managed to finish.  It's good to have a non-intimidating hand sewing project to work on again!  Linking up to Let's Bee Social!  Until next time, God Bless!



post signature


2 comments:

  1. Great project for a wee one! Seems like one you can stitch anytime anywhere, when the wee one is snoozing too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super portable--I bring it to work with me, so maybe I'll actually finish it in a reasonable amount of time!

      Delete

Love it? Hate it? Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear from you!