Search This Blog

Friday, April 6, 2018

BabySchep's Monster Quilt: Part 1

Biting off more than I can chew, I'm sure.  I have started another birthday quilt with fusible applique finished by hand.  You may recall this quilt for Lil'Schep's first birthday:


Windy Hill Farm Quilt, pattern by Antonie Alexander




Now, Baby #2 is 8 months old, so I've got to get going on his first birthday quilt.  I've chosen another quilt from the same book:






This time, I'm making the monster quilt, and here are the first two finished blocks:





I'm sticking with the black/white/grey backgrounds on this quilt so that the monsters will really pop.  These applique quilts always seem like a daunting task, but they are oh-so-fun when you're actually stitching them! 


I'll keep y'all posted.  Linking up with Finished or not Friday today. 


Recent reads:


What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science ExplainedWhat Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained by Robert L. Wolke
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

More of the same. If you've read other books in this series, you'll find several repeat explanations in this book, but frankly, I don't mind. It kinda makes me feel smarter to already know the answer to the question! I did find it enjoyable for these questions to be focused on the science of cooking--I'll definitely be giving the sequel a listen, too.

View all my reviews


Chernobyl 01:23:40: The Incredible True Story of the World's Worst Nuclear DisasterChernobyl 01:23:40: The Incredible True Story of the World's Worst Nuclear Disaster by Andrew Leatherbarrow
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This Leatherbarrow fellow has decided to tell the story about his trip to the Chernobyl disaster area alongside his retelling (through research, not personal experience) of the disaster itself. It was okay.

This had the potential to be so much better. This is actually the first book I've "read" about the disaster, so I really have nothing to compare it to. What I did find laughable about this book is the fact that the author starts off by complaining about other nonfiction authors who find it necessary to share their opinions, when Leatherbarrow is guilty of the exact same thing! I didn't find his account of his trip to the Ukraine to be compelling in any way--I read this book to learn more about what happened, and the people it happened to.

Unfortunately, I do find myself curious about disasters, and this book did little to quell that curiosity. Now I'll have to find a different book to read to "clear the air," so to speak.

View all my reviews


What Einstein Told His Barber: More Scientific Answers to Everyday QuestionsWhat Einstein Told His Barber: More Scientific Answers to Everyday Questions by Robert L. Wolke
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

More of the same type of simple scientific explanations for commonplace curiosities. I always enjoy listening to books like these because I'm the type that seems to always ask "why?"

View all my reviews


On our tabletop:


We've been playing this gem for years, and I've got a quilt in the works inspired by the game!







Until next time, God Bless!







1 comment:

Love it? Hate it? Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear from you!