Search This Blog

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Cross Stitch is a Dying Art

Several months ago, I started my first cross stitching project in years.  I taught myself how to cross stitch as a child and made several projects, but they all were too old fashioned to keep.  I didn't find a reason to pick up the needle and thread until our friends announced that they were expecting their first child--a little girl.  I think every baby should have something handmade and I just didn't know if anyone in their family was crafty or not.  Once I figured out what the nursery decor would be, I went and purchased a quilt kit from Dena's Happi Tree line.  Two months down the line, this is how it turned out:




I was even crafty enough to figure out some new embroidery stitches!  I learned the blanket stitch (how I made it to 29 without learning this one, I don't know) and the stem stitch.  I used my newly acquired skills to make a patch that would be the quilt label.  I also purchased my first fat quarter to do this, by the way:



It's pretty obvious that I didn't know what I was doing, but I was out of time.  The baby shower was a day or two after I finished the quilt.  I hope baby Emma loves her gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it? Hate it? Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear from you!