Search This Blog

Monday, June 16, 2014

I guess I'm a YA at heart

I finished listening to The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan this weekend:


It was recommended to me by a friend, and I loved it!  This is definitely young adult fiction, and is marketed as such.  Think "Twilight," but with zombies.  The novel follows a teenage girl named Mary in post-zombie apocalypse village where the "Sisterhood," a group of nuns, rules the roost.  A fence surrounds the village to protect the inhabitants from the "unconsecrated"--AKA zombies--that dominate the forest.  Mary is obsessed with what might lie beyond the forest, so of course that messes with her ability to maintain relationships.

I listened to the audiobook version read by Vane Millon--she did an okay job.  I'm convinced that I would have enjoyed the book a little bit more had I actually read it for myself.  I exclusively listened to this novel while working on some crafts (more on that later), so my husband caught bits and pieces of it and remarked on how terrible it sounded.  I guess I have to agree just a little bit. 

Overall, I was really caught up with the story--it left enough mystery and intrigue to keep me listening, but in the end, a lot of it went unexplained.  I guess that's the nature of stories told in the first person view, though.  The book was very age-appropriate: it lists a suggested audience of 14 & up.  As y'all know, there's only so much sex and profanity I can stomach, and this book had none.  It was a refreshing change from the Stephen King novels I've been listening to--I guess the child in me still wants to read children's books.  There are more books in the series, so I have already checked out the e-book version of the sequel.  I'll be sure to let you know what I think of that one, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it? Hate it? Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear from you!