Search This Blog

Friday, November 10, 2017

#babyschep's nursery progress: Solar System Quilt

I keep raving about my Cricut, but that's only because I use it so much!  There's this solar system cutting file on their website that I have used over and over again while preparing BabySchep's nursery.

Earth and Mercury on the pressing sheet






It's been fun deciding how to color the planets--after all, a lot of the coloring you see in "photographs" of space is artificial.  We figured we'd just have fun with it.  My hubby played a huge role in picking the fabrics for this quilt. 









My sous-sewer?

Here he is helping me measure the background fabric.  We went with a light gray, because we felt that it would interfere the least with the chosen colors. I once again opted for Heat n Bond Ultra permanent adhesive--I don't intend to stitch these planets down, so I guess we'll find out how permanent it actually is!  (I reckon I'll eventually let y'all know how it goes...)






Most of these planets are two or three layers, meaning some of them are very thick.  I'm glad I decided not to sew them down.

I opted for premade bias tape for the orbits.  This was my first time using the double needle on my Quantum, and it worked beautifully.  I used a bobbin as the second spool of thread. 


I ordered some glow-in-the-dark thread at my husband's suggestion.  While I loved the idea, I HATED the thread.  I had to work out some tension issues on a practice quilt sandwich:





I got about one eighth of the quilt done with the glow-in-the-dark thread before I got fed up with the shredding.  It didn't matter what tension, or how fast or slow I stitched, the thread continually shredded and broke in the machine.  I finally yanked it out and replaced it with some Aurifil white thread, and whaddya know? it sewed up like a dream:





Mercury

Sol

Venus

Earth

Mars

Jupiter

Saturn

Uranus

Neptune


Fun and fast quilt that I hope BabySchep will enjoy it for years to come.  Linking up with Busy Hands Quilts, Crazy Mom Quilts, TGIFF and My Quilt Infatuation this week.   I just gifted another finish this week, so more on that soon!  Until then, God Bless!



5 comments:

  1. This is super cute! I love it that your husband helped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun quilt! Maybe it will inspire baby to become an astronaut! Claire aka knitnkwilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I wish I had a sous-sewer! hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun quilt, nice to have your hubby working with you, and super cute baby! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea and oh so nicely executed!

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Hate it? Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear from you!